Thursday, July 23, 2015

Review: Kestrel (Hart Brothers #3) by A.M. Hargrove

Series: Hart Brothers 3
Release Date: March 29, 2015
Publisher: A.M. Hargrove
Genre: Romance, Romantic Suspense
Source: Copy provided for honest review
Rating: ½



Two lives with broken pasts no one can imagine. One encounter that changed them both forever.

“One look at her and I want to run. Frizzy hair, thick glasses, mom jeans, and ruffles up to her neck. Who the hell wears shit like that? What decade is she living in? My mother doesn’t even dress like that!”

Kestrel is a survivor. The monster who raised him is dead and he’s now building a new life for himself, shedding his dark and twisted past. He moves away from his family, but a surprise awaits him. Her name is Carter.

Carter is also a survivor. Her past is every bit as horrid as Kestrel’s. But she has a secret. In order to protect it, she proposes something so foreign, so outrageous, even she is shocked.
Carter needs love. Kestrel craves human contact. Neither of them recognizes what’s right before their eyes. Will they see it before it’s too late?

The good thing about Kestrel by A.M. Hargrove, is that even though it is the third in the series, it definitely can be read as a stand alone.

However, that may be the only thing I found good about this book.

I'm giving it one star because I actually made it to the end. I think only to see how the train wreck ended. This feels so harsh, but it was just such a mess.

It starts fine enough, young woman has lost her entire family. She's broken and broke. You learn that she's in cancer research but the taxes on the house she inherited are breaking her.

 But then all of this happens -

The money situation never really mapped out for me. She was left $100K, I assume she makes decent money, but the taxes nearly bankrupt her within 4 years. But, I don't live in Charleston. This could be totally legit, it definitely made me pause and do some math. Not something I want to do while reading.

Anyway...then she throws herself at the potential buyer of the house. I'm talking, indecent proposal shit here. It was all kinds of strange. She's a nerd, not a sex pot so it really felt out of character. I get it, you're desperate to have access to the house but offering up your mom jean clad ass to a complete stranger is crazy town territory.

Kestrel (awesome name - that's why it got an extra half star) kept telling her he was so bad and evil but his actions never supported that. Ever. He was actually a very sweet guy. All his talk about his dark past, was just that, talk.

I could make a huge list of inconsistencies, but I won't. I'll just say it was full of them and I struggled. A lot.

Not the book for me.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...