Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Review: Temporary Bliss by BJ harvey

Series: Bliss #1
Release Date: August 2013
Publisher: BJ Harvey
Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Source: Purchased
Rating: ★★★

Makenna Lewis cringes at any mention of the word commitment. She doesn’t want or need a relationship, but she does like sex (who doesn't).

That explains Noah, Sean, and Zander, her three 'friends with benefits'.

They know the score, they know they're not the only one, and each of them provide her with a different physical need that she craves and enjoys.

Until a late night encounter with the delicious Daniel Winters turns her preconceived notion of no-commitment completely on its head.

Soon she finds herself feeling things she vowed never to feel again, and when Daniel pushes for more than she’s willing to give, she falters.

What do you do when something that you’ve known to be so wrong in the past feels so damn right?

If you’re Mac, you run and hide.

But is Daniel the type of man who takes no for an answer?


A couple of weeks ago, I asked our lovely followers on Facebook to give me some recommendations on a sexy and fun romance series that I could sink my teeth in to. I wasn't looking for anything too heavy and just wanted to read a few books that would take me away on a quick and fun ride. BJ Harvey's Bliss series came highly recommended by one of our readers, so I decided to give it a chance. The books also happened to be on sale, so it was pretty easy for me to go ahead and 1-Click buy all the books in the series. 

BJ Harvey starts TEMPORARY BLISS on a fairly dark note with it's heroine, MacKenna 'Mac' Lewis, dealing with a crappy abusive relationship. Not wanting to giveaway too much, Mac doesn't stay in this relationship too long and thankfully escapes her confines. Harvey then fast forwards us four years later, and the Mac we met has disappeared, and we are introduced to the new Mac who revels in her single status and dabbles in a few relationships. 

This new Mac is a lot more confident and comfortable in her own skin. I found it refreshing to see a character be strong and confident after what she experienced in her life before. I loved how Harvey gave Mac the strength to move on with her life and not let her past dictate her life. But Mac's new outlook on life was also the one factor that hindered me from loving her. I feel like she made so many great strides in her life but her reluctance and blindness to her feelings/emotions really made her a bit annoying. I mean, how many times can you watch a character run away before you get annoyed with her?

Now as for the men in Mac's life, well there sure is a lot for us to choose from. Daniel Winters is definitely swoon worthy. The guy practically sweeps you off your feet throughout the whole book. He's the kind of character that mother's want their daughters to be with. Of course he has to be handsome, he's got manners that mothers would be proud of, and the dude has a sense of humor that keeps you entertained. He's a great match for Mac and that's why it was so frustrating to see Mac run away from him for no reason. But what was as equally as frustrating is Daniel saying he won't let her run away but basically does nothing to get her back. It was all so confusing and I honestly didn't know what was going on in their heads. 

As for the other guys, Harvey gives us a variety to choose from. First, we have Noah, the sexy surgeon dubbed as the "Walking Dildo". Next, we have Zander, the sweet male stripper who has a thing for getting it on in public. And last but certainly not least, we have Sean, the older and mysterious lawyer who has a little thing for whips and chains *wink wink* All three mean are great characters and I loved seeing the kinds of relationships Mac had with them. Harvey gave us really good introductions into their characters and I definitely cannot wait to see more of each men as the series continues. 

While there was a lot to like about TEMPORARY BLISS, I just wished that the story had a greater hold on me like I had hope it would have. Harvey fell short by a short margin to make me totally fall in love with Mac and Daniel's story. Mac and Daniels characters flaws is mainly the reason why I couldn't give this book more than a 3 star rating. Mac's running away knocked one star off, and Daniel's inability to run after the girl until the very last minute knocked off the other star.

Overall, this book was a very enjoyable and entertaining read. I loved the banter between Harvey's characters and their witty humor really helps the story move in a fast pace. I also really liked how Harvey flipped the 'man-ho' romance trope, and gave the female the reigns of this romance story. While the first installment of this series wasn't a hit out of the ballpark, it definitely got me wanting to know more about the other characters in the series, and hopefully get more of Mac and Daniel.


1 comment:

Blogger said...

I've just downloaded iStripper, so I can watch the hottest virtual strippers on my taskbar.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...